After six years of being vegan, I have never seen an organised learning space dedicated to understanding (anti-)speciesism through an intersectional and holistic lens.
This course is for those interested in discovering more about veganism, animal rights, (anti-)speciesism, and related topics. The oppression of animals is a long-ignored and dismissed experience. Abolitionism, de-colonialism, anarchism, and any “leftist” perspective is incomplete without a thorough understanding and inclusion of animal oppression. Many people on “the left” critique the politics of veganism: but few take the time to truly investigate what they really are. This course offers you an opportunity to do so.
This course is for those who are looking for a thorough 101 introduction to politicised veganism and will be beneficial to those who:
- are completely new to veganism/anti-speciesism
- have some understanding and want to take their learning further
- have been exposed to “white veganism” or the mainstream movement but would like to radicalise themselves
This course will run over five weeks on Sundays at 6pm BST / 10am PDT / 1pm EDT. Each session is 1.5 – 2hrs long, held on Zoom, and will have automated captions available.
- 20th August – Part One: What the F*ck is Speciesism? An introduction to speciesism and the animal exploitation industrial complex.
- 27th August – Part Two: What the F*ck is Humanity? Exploring the connections between speciesism and other social oppressions.
- 3rd September – Part Three: What the F*ck is Animality? Building relationships to human animality and the animality of other species.
- 10th September – Part Four: What the F*ck is Anti-Speciesism? An overview of the direct action roots of the animal rights movement and what it means to be an animal ally.
- 17th September – Part Five: What the F*ck is Next? A group discussion where we cover what other topics haven’t been addressed and look towards the future.
In addition the five sessions, participants will be able to access an ongoing group chat for evolving anti-speciesists to continue their learning.
This course is a reciprocal investment of energy, time, and funds. Your investment will not only support me, but two animal sanctuaries I will be donating to (The Hoppy Acre & The Retreat Animal Sanctuary)!
For accessibility, I have provided sliding scale donation suggestions…
- Tier Zero is free for those who have no funds to spare and could not otherwise access this course.
- Tier One is £50-99 for those who are socially and/or financially marginalised and could not access the course without this tier.
- Tier Two is £100-199 for those who have the ability to invest at the true cost or higher. Paying at this tier helps balance the scales for other course participants.
- Tier Three is £200-299 for those who have the ability to invest at a higher tier. Paying at this tier helps balance the scales for other course participants and also sponsors a free scholarship.
Currently, more than 70% of attendees are on Tier Zero. Please choose a higher tier if you can 🙂
Please register at the link below and are due by 31st July 2023. Payment is accepted over PayPal, Kofi, or bank transfer and payment plans are available!
If you are looking to book for multiple people (e.g. as an organisation) please alternatively contact me here before the deadline.
Feedback from Course Alumni
“Aiyana is wonderful about saying things directly as they are without apology, while also holding compassionate space for our unlearning and growth. The presentations were great. Appreciation for engaging us with questions to share our reflections and for the resources provided for our further learning.”
“The course was amazing; very informative, had important reflection questions, and many resources to engage with. Aiyana was a fantastic facilitator; friendly and understanding while also pushing people to do better. I appreciated that people could either talk, or write in the chat, making sure that people feel comfortable sharing.’
“For a course with a focus on teaching people about (anti)-speciesism who may or may not have had any prior knowledge, I think it fulfilled exactly what it set out to do. Concepts were explained in a passionate, comprehensive way, the encouragement to engage with resources and reflect with one another was motivating, and I was able to come away from it with multiple radically different outlooks. I was initially going to rate the course as a nine because I feel like there’s usually always room to improve, but when I actually tried to think of things I would change, I honestly couldn’t think of anything, which I think in itself says a lot. All in all, I think the course was executed incredibly well.”
“This the most impactful and well done trainings I have ever been to. You are amazingly brilliant and committed and you impact people who share space with you through your authenticity!”
“The facilitator was highly knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. The way the workshop is set up is rather brilliant. Each week we build upon our understanding and intersections we learn about. Everything is very clear and concise. As a person who is hearing impaired I found it to be very accessable.“